Tuesday, August 4, 2009

When life hands you avacados...

A few months back I noticed my husband's eating habits took a strange turn. Whenever we were at the grocery store he was always buying chips and salsa and then he started buying this pre-packaged green goop. I had no idea what it was and he informed me its guacamole. Well I knew what guacamole was i had just never tried it. It took me a while still to try it because it came in a plastic package that he had to un-roll and squeeze it all into a Tupperware container. The whole thing really just made my stomach turn, but i like the guacamole! So of course i run to the computer and google how to make it. I was pretty intimidated at the thought of making guacamole but it turns out it is sooo unbelievably easy and it tastes wonderful! So after tinkering around i came up with my own recipe I thought I'd share.

Guacamole
1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped

3 green onions, finely chopped

1/4 cup red onion finely chopped

3 cloves of garlic, minced

3 tablespoons freshly diced cilantro

2 tablespoons lime juice

2 teaspoons kosher salt

3 ripe avocados (ripe when smushy)

Mix all the top ingredients together, I use a large glass bowl. Then seed the avocados (save the pits) and spoon out the rest into the bowl. I use my hand mash potato masher to mix it all together. Cover and refrigerate and its wonderful! Oh and use the pits, place them into the guacamole to prevent it from turning darker in color!

You can also you the pits to grow your own avocado tree. My husband thinks I'm nuts but I have started to try and grow my own avocado tree. We eat guacamole all the time and i think it would be neat to have our own tree. Anyways here is the progress, I'll keep you updated!




No comments:

Post a Comment